Friday, February 19, 2021

Nica Woman's Baseball Team

Ahh, the good old days of playing softball in the park are back!  Morgan, my gringo friend, introduced me to the local Nicaraguan woman's softball team.  I now have many friends and great opportunities to  speak spanish as well.  We have practised baseball together for a month.  What I thought were easy going and perhaps an assortment of dysfunctional women have pulled together into an awesome team. Afterall, we did start out drinking during practise, encouraging everyone's kids to play with us, and generally getting no direction or drills.  But hey, I think that is just the Nica way.  




After all that practise, the beginning of the season started with a flourish.  All the teams received their new uniforms and then paraded down the street.  A band played, music blared from a car full of speakers, and my California Stars won their first two games.  





I am so proud of these women!
Essentially, I am not their mascot. 
 

No comments: